Thursday, January 15, 2015

That One Ball


A famous story told of one of Coca-Cola’s CEO, Bryan Dyson: the five balls.

There are five balls we juggle in our lives - work, family, health, friends and spirit. Work is a rubber ball. While the other four balls are made of glass.

That one ball I love the most, is family. At my first job, managers would always highlight the value of family - I think sometimes though it’s just their way of cutting OT expenses. :p They’d always tell us to manage our time and work within office hours because after that, it should be time for ourselves & friends & family. As I moved on to different companies, I’d always take that with me. So I see to it, I work efficiently so I’d juggle all the other balls.

I’ve been in Manila for almost 5 years now and since last year, my eagerness to go back home heightened every minute of every day. I am the only one here in Manila. Yes, I have relatives but my immediate family members are not here. So few years back, I left my dream job in the hopes of finding a job home. But I got another good opportunity. I took it again and extended few more. I had the chance of going back home with my present job but this year, my boss a bit altered what was told of me last year. They’re not letting me go home yet. Well, not even yet. They’re totally taking that chance, that very thing I’ve been clinging to last year.

Yes, I’d have better growth and training here, but no one, not my present company will ever give me the feeling I have with my family. I worked here so I will have no regrets of thinking what ifs. I’ve been so fortunate and gracious with my work and I’m happy with how far I’ve reached but if people’ll ask me again, I’d still choose that one ball.

2 comments:

  1. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm touched. Haha! This is the 2nd comment I got from you. I'm inspired that some people actually reads my blog and are so kind to leave a few of their thoughts. Thank you! :)

      -randompinay

      Delete