Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Responsible Childhood

There’s responsible parenthood. Is there also responsible childhood?

The moment we yelled out loud to signal our coming into this world, the world’s eyes were fixed on us. The first moments we uttered the words “Mama”or “Papa” or made our first stand, the world was all about us. Until we reached graduation and got that college diploma, eyes and all focus of all focuses were on us.

But I don’t get how most of us continue to depend on our parents even after we march the graduation halls. We’re not parasites, are we?

I graduated 2009, took the board exam and had my license before that same year ended. April 2010, I started working and lo and behold, I never asked a penny from my parents (aside from our mutual understanding on the first three months of lodge rental). How did I manage? I simply told myself, “I am independent.”

Isn’t it such a fulfilling feeling to have bought things from your own earnings? to have travelled using your own savings? What kind of joy is it to ask money from parents? I can’t even remember the last time I asked money from my Dad.

Sometimes I look at FB photos and I pity the parents. My empathy goes to the parents of young lads enjoying their selfies at Starbucks or LaBoracay or their hangover from the pool palace, etc.

For students, be cautious with your spending.

For bum graduates since birth, get a job.

For employed children, be independent and if earnings permit, share at home. Give back what the world has given you. Give back to the people who made you reach wherever peak you are at right now.

There is childhood. And there is growing up. Be a responsible grown-up.


No comments:

Post a Comment